Sunday, April 21, 2013

Graduation and Other Stuff




Graduation is creeping up on us so I finally got off my butt and ordered Vanessa's senior pictures. I will be sending wallets out with her announcements.

Vanessa also went shopping for the dress to wear under her graduation gown. Cute. Now we need shoes.

Plans for going to Italy are still in the planning stage and Vanessa is applying for jobs all over. Finding a job has been a problem for her because she doesn't turn 18 until June 2nd and most restaurants want people that are 18 so they can serve alcohol or 21 so they can both serve and make or open the drink. Go figure. I get it but our laws and regulations sure make it hard for kids to work. "Back in the old days" (yes I know this makes me sound like an old codger) kids could always find jobs on farms, in stores, and in restaurants. Now it is too easy to get sued if one of them gets hurt. Vanessa had and lost a job she really liked because the young manager didn't read her resume and application close enough to know she was 17. She worked there as a busser for two weeks when they told her to go get a serving license for alcohol. She was let go after that but that manager's butt was chewed. Bet that manager is more careful next time.

She and Breanne have also signed up for the  Color Me Rad (click here)5K fun run August 10th in Seattle.  This looks like a ton of fun and benefits Seattle Children's Hospital. However there is no fund raising involved unless the contestant chooses to do so. A portion of the girls entry fee goes to Seattle Children's. If you want to contribute though the girls will be proud to walk your checks into the hospital themselves. How fun would that be and it will be a tax deductible donation or you can donate here.


If you would like to join them you can sign up to do that too. register with team Crayolas Gone Wild and make sure you check the "join existing team button". Their Team name is Craoylas Gone Wild.  They will be running a 5K course getting doused with a different brightly colored corn starch in each section. Now as a mom I have to wonder if the stuff is toxic. Supposedly not and I guess my girls are going to get exposed to their portions of toxic waste in their lifetimes (including alcohol) weather I like it or not. They are past the age of me being able to protect them from everything. You may be wondering also after the events this past week in Boston why I would allow such a thing. Well for one thing I can't "allow or disallow" at this age and we really can't allow terrorist to make us fear our way of life. Who wants to hide in a hole. Hopefully they have learned some common sense in the time spent with we parents. I will ask them to avoid trash cans however and maybe, just maybe they will listen to me. They are both pretty level headed and I am proud that they want to contribute to things like this.

Stay tuned for more adventures.


No comments:

Post a Comment